Saturday, August 14, 2010

Don't Let the Winds of Change Make Your Life Decisions For You

Every once in a while, a day will happen where I find myself looking at things and saying "I want to change this."  For many people, this translates to rearranged furniture, or cleaning out the office files, or taking up a new exercise regime.  For me, this period of restlessness is usually preceded by a day or two of mild to medium depression - if I have the time to indulge it, I allow myself that day or two to sit in my pajamas and shut off my brain - only getting out for the appointments with others that I've previously made.  If I'm not allowed to indulge it, well, it's a rough couple of days until I can. 

 
Anyway, after the "foggy days" clear up, I usually find myself revving up to full motivation.  That revving up period is usually accompanied by a restlessness, a need for change.

 
I've never been a "dog" person.  I'm not opposed to dogs.  I find them friendly and interesting, but I've always preferred the calm, fuzzy comfort of cats. 

 
How do the two relate?  Well, when I found myself in the period of restlessness today, I acted on a few things I've been brewing on and didn't act on another one.

 
  • I made a list to plan my week.  (good)
  • Made a plan to quit my current gym with no pool (good)
  • Made a plan to investigate a local gym with a pool (good)
  • Made an appointment to get my hair cut and colored (good)
  • Made time in my schedule to work on my writing this week (the plan is to finish the first draft of the school play, so I can spend a little more time pursuing getting an agent for my YA/Middle School novel, MoJo Fingers) (good)
  • Got my class websites set up for the upcoming school year (WOOT!)
  • Contemplated getting a dog (WHOA!!  HOLD THE PHONE!)

 
We don't need a dog.  Our cats would (quite correctly) be pissed beyond all reckoning if we got a loud, smelly ball of silly energy, and would finally be forced to activate their plot to take over the world.  This would lead to the subjugation of humankind, world-wide shortages in seafood, an explosion in the illegal catnip trade, enforced napping, and...wait - hasn't this already happened?

 
Anyway, I put away the dog idea.  It's probably better for humanity that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment